Thursday, August 24, 2006

Grace Slick & The Great Society

I was talking about all time favorite rock bands with some folks the other day, and Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane came up in the discussion. I've always enjoyed the earlier Airplane stuff, and I had the chance to hear them live back in 1966 or 1967, and have been impressed with Gracie Slick's voice ever since.

"If you like Gracie Slick, have you heard any of her earlier stuff?" one guy asked. I replied that I hadn't, and he pointed me towards a band called "The Great Society", and said it was worth tracking it down. A little internet searching and I found a CD that had two of their LP's on it.

Have a look at the song list:

1: Sally Go `Round The Roses
2: Didn't Think So
3: Grimly Forming
4: Somebody To Love
5: Father Bruce
6: Outlaw Blues
7: Often As I May
8: Arbitration
9: White Rabbit
10: That`s How It Is
11: Darkly Smiling
12: Nature Boy
13: You Can't Cry
14: Daydream Nightmare
15: Everybody Knows
16: Born To Be Burned
17: Father

You'll notice that both "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" are both here. Some of the songs sound like the were recorded live at a rather small venue. The musicianship isn't as complex as when Jorma Kaukonen was playing lead for ther Airplane, but none the less, I enjoyed the CD thoroughly. At times bluesy, other times psychedelic, sometimes sort of pre-psychedelic transitional rock, all in all it's an interesting CD, and if you enjoy Gracie Slick, you will certainly enjoy The Great Society.

Oh yeah, I found it for about six bucks plus shipping, which was a bargain, and I couldn't pass it up!



1 Comments:

At Saturday, August 26, 2006 4:48:00 PM, Blogger BobG said...

They also did "Love One Another" that was made popular by the Youngbloods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted